Is Nantucket considered a town, a county, or an island?
Answer: It's considered all three
- Nantucket is a town, a county, and an island, located approx. 26 miles from Cape Cod, Massachusetts.
- Together with the small islands of Tuckernuck and Muskeget, Nantucket constitutes the Town of Nantucket
- The island is just under 50 square miles and has 82 miles of beach.
- Nantucket's proximity to the Gulf Stream makes the island 10˚ degrees warmer in the winter and 10˚ degrees cooler in the summer than the mainland.
- The eastern coast of Nantucket was the first place in the U.S. to see the first sunrise of the new millennium.
To read more interesting facts about Nantucket, click here.