How many people die in America every day from drunk driving?
Sad, but true according to the NHTSA, or National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. While the report is from 2014, it also states that an average of 1 alcohol-impaired driving fatality occurred every 53 minutes in that year. This is a mind-blowing statistic that sounds even more alarming when you read that since MADD's inception:
THE NUMBER OF DRUNK DRIVING DEATHS HAS BEEN CUT IN HALF SINCE THE ORGANIZATION WAS FOUNDED IN 1980.
These figures should serve as a reminder to never get behind the wheel after drinking, and to never let your family or friends think they're invincible either.
Here are some other staggering statistics on drunk driving from MADD
- 50 TO 75 PERCENT OF CONVICTED DRUNK DRIVERS CONTINUE TO DRIVE ON A SUSPENDED LICENSE.
- EVERY TWO MINUTES, A PERSON IS INJURED IN A DRUNK DRIVING CRASH.
- ON AVERAGE, TWO IN THREE PEOPLE WILL BE INVOLVED IN A DRUNK DRIVING CRASH IN THEIR LIFETIME.
- IN 2013, 28.7 MILLION PEOPLE ADMITTED TO DRIVING UNDER THE INFLUENCE OF ALCOHOL - THAT’S MORE THAN THE POPULATION OF TEXAS.
- AN AVERAGE DRUNK DRIVER HAS DRIVEN DRUNK OVER 80 TIMES BEFORE FIRST ARREST.
- DRUNK DRIVING COSTS EACH ADULT IN THE UNITED STATES OVER $500 PER YEAR.
- DRUNK DRIVING COSTS THE UNITED STATES $132 BILLION A YEAR.
- ADULTS DRANK TOO MUCH AND DROVE ABOUT 121 MILLION TIMES PER YEAR - OVER 300,000 INCIDENTS OF DRINKING AND DRIVING A DAY.
- IN 2015, 10,265 PEOPLE DIED IN DRUNK DRIVING CRASHES - ONE EVERY 51 MINUTES - AND 290,000 WERE INJURED IN DRUNK DRIVING CRASHES.