Which President said the following quote: “The next time you see one of those squirrels go near my putting green, take a gun and shoot it!”
Answer: Dwight D. Eisenhower
I posted this one A) because I thought it was hilarious and B) more importantly, President Eisenhower passed away on this day in 1969. Born in Denison, Texas, in 1890, Eisenhower graduated from the United States Military Academy in 1915, and after World War I he steadily rose in the peacetime ranks of the U.S. Army. He was the 34th president of the United States and one of the most highly regarded American generals of World War II. He died in Washington, D.C., at the age of 78. Here are 5 things you may not have known about "Ike" courtesy of history.com. Click the link to see the rest.
1. His birth name was David Dwight Eisenhower.
2. Eisenhower never saw active combat.
3. Camp David is named after his grandson.
4. Eisenhower banished the White House’s squirrels because they were ruining his putting green (hence the quote).
5. His first son died of scarlet fever at age 3.